Pages

10.5.11

Frank Lloyd Wright

March 17, 2012 (Friday)
I had 42 minutes in the morning at the pool. That was all I was allowed. Pool boy said I could have an hour but he was ready sooner. We had things to do today.
We had been waiting to go to Taliesen West, the summer camp of architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The oldest son joined me for a 90 minute tour. (The oldest likes design. He dreams of being a car designer or an architect.) The guide gave a fascinating narrative of both Wright and the complex itself. Did you know Wright was the first to use lights embedded in the floors? Did you know he drew the architectural plans for the first drive-in bank but the bank decided not to use them? Wright's contemporary style was an extreme contrast to the Victoria architecture of his time. He was determined not to replicate any previous architectural style (from Victorian to Greek or Roman) in his design. He wanted the look to be open and free. He brought nature into the living spaces of homes. He even designed his own furniture in the house. Sumptuous living spaces, clean angles, unobstructed windows, natural rock, and lines designed to flow with the desert floor. I could live there.
Then I was unceremoniously dropped off at the largest shopping mall in the Phoenix area. It was large and anchored in all four corners by big department stores--ones I'd never even heard of. I had 90 minutes to cover the ground. The five guys went to the food fair to keep themselves entertained. When you cruise through a major mall that fast there is only time to window shop. Pool boy was happy.
Although I had walked a lot we hadn't worked out. Walking in a mall is not quite the same as hiking or mountain biking. I dragged 16 year old out in the 31 degree heat for a run. We ran on the sweltering pavement and cantilevered boulevards near the motel while the rest of the family frolicked in the pool.
Then the guys went shopping again. Yes, I got dumped while they hit the Lego store. This is how this family works. Where are the women when I need them?

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see more photos of Frank Lloyd Write's designs (I guess I could google). He sounds like an interesting guy and it sounds like a great tour. Did your son enjoy it?

    Did you really only window shop? You had to but something! I cannot imagine going to a mall with 5 male. Poor you! You definitely need a female companion to be with you - if only for the shopping!

    Is it your goal to do boot amp everyday while on holidays? Oh my. You are making me exhausted. (to be honest, we usually do the same thing on vacation).

    Tia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my oldest son really enjoyed the tour and so did I. Definitely a highlight for both of us. And I did not start out with any goal to do bootcamp. I was being sarcastic. Really, I just wanted my husband to take me away so I could completely disconnect from work. I wanted a rest. But my husband knows I am happiest when I am physically active and so it has evolved into a bootcamp holiday. Fits me perfectly. He has been support crew for other crazy adventures such as running the Juan de Fuca Marine Trail solo.

      Delete